How it works
1. Initialisation: OptiMate 6 checks that it is connected to a battery (minimum voltage 0.5V).
2. Programming: the ampmatic processor checks the battery’s condition to determine the appropriate program entry point.
3. Desulphation and recovery: if necessary, 2 or 3 stages of high voltage and oscillatory pulsing are applied to recover neglected flat batteries (removed from the vehicle) from sulphation to a chargeable state.
4. Bulk charge: the ampmatic processor sets and then continually re-adjusts the constant current optimally for each individual battery according to its evolving electrical characteristics.
5. Short-circuited cell check: after 10 minutes the ampmatic processor assesses the electrical parameters to check for power leakage due to a short-circuited cell.
6. Absorption and equalisation: during 10 minutes the current is delivered in pulses to cause the voltage to oscillate between 13.7 and 14.3V, aiding cell voltage equalization.
7. Charge verification: during 5 minutes the voltage is limited at 13.6V while the ampmatic processor monitors the current absorbed by the battery. If this reveals a less than optimal charge, the program reverts to absorption for a further 10 minutes.
8. Charge retention test: when the optimal charge has been achieved, the first check for battery (and connected system) power leakage commences. If the battery passes the first 30 minutes test, the test is extended up to 12 hours for a definitive result. If the voltage falls below 12.4V in this period the extended test is terminated. Results of the tests can be read at a glance on the easy-to-read LED panel. 30-minute tests are repeated hourly until the OptiMate 6 is disconnected, so that the battery status indication is continually updated.
9. Charge maintenance: during alternate 30 minute periods, at a float limit of 13.6V the battery is offered whatever charge current it needs to sustain it against any small connected loads or power leakage and against natural self discharge. OptiMate 6 can stay connected to the battery indefinitely, the battery will stay cool and safe. And optimally charged. Of course.