The 8 stages of connectivity:
1. Pre-qualification / BMS reset: The charge program is selected according to battery voltage. For batteries with internal BMS (battery management system) that includes a low voltage cut-out; OptiMate Lithium has a BMS reset program to reconnect the internal cells with the battery posts so that charging can commence.
2. Low Volts recovery: The OptiMate SAVE mode controls charging during this sensitive battery SAVE stage, to ensure that an over discharged battery will be correctly and safely recovered. Tests are conducted through-out the SAVE program to determine if the battery has successfully recovered and can advance to BULK CHARGE.
3. Bulk charge stage: Charges at 0.8 Amps constant current until the Voltage has risen to 14.3V.
4. Short-circuited / dead cell check: Charge progress is tracked against the ideal LiFePO4 charge curve, internal damage will be detected and unnecessary charging is prevented of a battery that cannot be recovered.
5. Absorption and equalization: for up to 4 hours the current is delivered in pulses with voltage controlled between 14.0 and 14.3V, aiding cell voltage equalization and improving the battery's overall power delivery.
6. Voltage retention test: is conducted for up to 12 hours during which no charge current is delivered, with 3 possible test results indicating the battery's general state of health or excessive self discharge or higher than expected power loss through the vehicle’s electrical system.
7. Charge maintenance: The MAINTENANCE CHARGE CYCLE consists of 30-minute float charge periods at a voltage of 13.6V followed by and alternating with 30-minute ‘rest’ periods. During the float charge period current is delivered only if the battery has lost charge due to connected vehicle circuitry. A refresh cycle may be performed if the charge level has dropped significantly.
8. The alternating charge and ‘rest’ maintenance program protects the battery against over discharge by connected vehicle circuitry, making it ideal for indefinite and 100% safe long-term maintenance charging.